Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How can I find my council representative?

A: Call the Clerk of Council, 40 Public Square, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-9517 or e-mail


Q: Compost Site: What is the location of the Knox County Compost site and when is it open?

A: Compost Site: Thayer Road (just off S. R. 3 and 36 south of Mount Vernon). It is open Saturday, year round, 8 am to 4 pm — and Wednesday from April to October, 8 am to 4 pm ……… or call 740-393-6703 for additional information. They also have some additional seasonal hours. Knox County.

Q: Where can I take my recyclables?

A: Knox County Recycling Center is located at 301 Columbus Road, Mount Vernon, OH – Call 740-393-2057. Open Mon. 10-5, Tues. – Fri. 8-5, Sat 8-12. – They have drop off containers available when they are not open.

Q: Where can I get a drawing of my property boundaries?

A: Knox County Map Office, 117 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-6752.

Q: Where can I get a copy of a birth certificate or death record?

A: Knox County Health Department, 11660 Upper Gilchrist Road, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-392-2200 or The Knox County Health Department houses birth and death records for the county, dating back to December 1908. If a person was born or has died in Knox County, the record is available from the vital statistics office. Only certified copies are available of birth and death records. There is a fee. Payment is due at time of request. There is a form to complete. Requests are fulfilled immediately. There is no waiting time. Knox County Health Department

Q: Where can I get a marriage license?

A: Knox County Probate Court, 111 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-6798.

Q: Where can I get a passport?

A: Knox County Clerk of Courts, 117 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-6788. Or at the local Post Office.

Q: Where is the Knox County Fair Board Office?

A: 125 Fairgrounds Road, Mount Vernon, OH 740-397-0484

Q: Where can I find my voting location?

A: Knox County Board of Elections, 117 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-6716. Board of Elections

Q: How can I contact the local Democratic party?

A: 111 South Mulberry Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-3367

Engineering Department

Q: Where can I get a building permit if my property is in the city?

A: The City does NOT issue “building” permits. We issue “Zoning” Permits. Mount Vernon does not have a residential building code. Commercial building code is regulated through the State of Ohio, Department of Commerce.

Q: Where can I find a copy of City Codes .. City Ordinance ..Rules and Regulations .. Zoning …

A: For City of Mount Vernon Codified Ordinances check here … City Codes

Q: Where can I apply for a sign permit within the city?

A: Contact Engineering Department 740-393-9528 Click here for City Codes / Codified Ordinances … See Sign Section 1175 City Codes

Q: Where can I get a map of the city?

A: City Engineering Office, 40 Public Square, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-9528.

Fire Department

Q: When I am transported by EMS squad, why do I – or my insurance company – receive a bill?

A: Click here for answers to questions. EMS Billing

Income Tax

Q: Common Mistakes When Completing Tax Return

A: Failure to attach w-2 and schedule …. Failure to advise of address change …. Failure to advise change marital status (name) …. Failure to sign return and send payment …. Failure to file declaration of estimate …. Failure to use proper wage figure on w-2 …. Failure to file return for the year taxpayer moves in or out of city …. Failure to check if resident address is actually inside city limits

Q: When can I expect my refund?

A: The city has 90 days from the later of the date your taxes were due or the date your completed refund request is received to review your request. If your return is complete and approved, a refund check (payable to you) will be mailed to you. A refund request is not considered received unless it is complete and all the required information has been provided and the employer’s correct W-3 reconciliation form has been filed.

Q: I owe Mount Vernon city taxes but I am unable to pay my full liability at the time my return is due. Should I still file my return?

A: Yes, you should file your return by the due date whether or not you are able to pay the exact amount of tax that you owe. You will receive a bill for the unpaid taxes along with late payment penalty and interest charges. You may then contact the Tax Division to arrange for payment for the charges shown on the bill.

Q: I am a college student, living and working outside Mount Vernon, do I need to file a return and pay tax on that income?

A: Yes, Mount Vernon is considered your domicile (i.e. you are eligible to vote in Mount Vernon, you file a State of Ohio tax return with a Mount Vernon address).

Q: My employer withheld Mount Vernon tax, but I live in Fredericktown. How can I get a refund?

A: Because income is taxed first where it is earned, if your wages were earned in Mount Vernon, you would owe Mount Vernon tax on that basis and would not be due a refund merely because you live in Fredericktown (or any other municipality).

Q: Is city withholding based on employee work location or residence?

A: City withholding is based first upon the employee’s work location, and employers are required to withhold for the municipality.

Q: My spouse and I file separately at the federal/state level. Do I have to file the same for Mount Vernon?

A: No, a husband and wife, in any taxable year, may elect to file separately or jointly regardless of their federal or state filing status. At the municipal tax level, there is no advantage in filing separately.

Q: I live in an apartment and do not own real estate in Mount Vernon. Do I still have to file a Mount Vernon tax return?

A: Yes, all Mount Vernon residents age 18 and over are required to file a Mount Vernon income tax return, whether or not Mount Vernon tax has been fully withheld or paid to another community. Persons renting a house or apartment within the City of Mount Vernon are considered residents in most cases.

Q: I am retired. My only income is from social security, company pension, interest and dividends. Am I required to file a City of Mount Vernon tax return?

A: No. You are not required to file an income tax return with Mount Vernon, nor does Mount Vernon tax you on these types of income. However, you must file a one time Declaration of Exemption with us so we will not send you income tax returns in future years. If you should return to work, any earnings (other than retirement income) would be subject to Mount Vernon Income tax and you would be required to file an annual Mount Vernon income tax return.

Q: What is the City of Mount Vernon income tax rate and what type of income is taxable?

A: The income tax rate is 1.50%. Generally gross income (including income which is deferred) and business net profits are taxable. Check our website for a list of taxable and non-taxable income. A list is also available from the Income Tax Division.

Q: Who must file a return?

A: All Mount Vernon residents (age 18 and over) must file annual city income tax returns, whether or not Mount Vernon tax has been fully withheld or tax has been paid to another community. Retired residents with no earned income shall sign an exempt form. We have listed below a series of topics that represent basic facts about Mount Vernon’s Municipal Income Tax.

Parks Department

Q: How can I reserve a city park picnic shelter?

A: Call the City Park Office, 40 Public Square, Mount Vernon, OH 740-393-9577

Personnel/Civil Service

Q: How can I check for any City/Civil Service job openings?

A: Click Here for Job Postings and check that category in the list. If there are any job openings, the specific job description and test posting information will be posted in detail with all deadlines, etc. If you have any further questions, you may call 740-392-0775 or e mail:

Q: Where can I get a job application form?

A: Application for Employment

Q: How do I apply for a job with the City of Mount Vernon?

A: Contact Civil Service Administrator 740-392-0775.

Police Department

Q: How do I know if I should dial 911 or the police non-emergency number?

A: If the situation is life threatening or there is a crime in progress, call 911. If you want to report a crime that has already occurred, report suspicious activity, have a non-emergency situation or have a question, call 740-397-2222.

Property Problems

Q: How can I report a property with high grass?

A: Call City Code Enforcement Officer at 740-393-9400.

Q: Where can I report abandoned, unlicensed or junk vehicles?

A: Mount Vernon City Code Enforcement Officer 740-393-9400 or

Q: Where can I report garbage, trash and debris on a property?

A: Code Enforcement Officer – 740-393-9400 / …. or ….. Knox County Health Department – 740-392-2200 or

Safety Service

Q: What should I do when removing or planting a tree?

A: Contact Safety Service Department 393-9520 or or click here and print form: Tree Planting or Removal Form


Q: What are City Hall hours of business?

A: Monday – Friday … 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (For holiday closings call 393-9520 or 393-9517)

Q: How can I find my U. S. Senate Representative, U. S. Representative, Ohio Senator, Ohio Representative?

A: U. S. Senate… U.S. Senate

Q: Where can I find history about Mount Vernon and Knox County?

A: Knox County Historical Society, 875 Harcourt Road, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-5247. … Knox County Historical Society

Q: Where is the local library?

A: Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County, 210 North Mulberry Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-392-2665. … Library of Knox County and Mount Vernon

Q: Where is the office for housing assistance if I live in the city?

A: Knox Metro Housing, South Main Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-397-8787. This is the administration office for CDBG funds.

Q: How can I find the Visitor’s Bureau of Knox County and Mount Vernon?

A: 107 South Main Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-392-6102 – … Visitors Bureau

Q: Where can I get the phone number and location for the Chamber of Commerce?

A: 7 East Ohio Avenue, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-1111. Chamber of Commerce

Q: Population of Knox County

A: 16,990……….. Census – Mount Vernon

Q: Who is the property tax assessor and what is the phone number?

A: Knox County Auditor, 117 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050 740-393-6750.

Water Department

Q: What if I have a loss of service?

A: If you have paid your bill, you may have loss of service due to a depressurization (line break, hydrant fllushing, etc). Call the water office (740-393-9504) or the Mt Vernon PD (740-397-2222 off hours emergency). If you lose water for any period of time you will be under an advisory to boil your water for 24 hours. In that case if you would not receive a door card, you may look to the news media or radio station for notice.

Q: Why does the on-line payment system lock me out?

A: As a security measure, the system will lock lock you out if multiple attempts are made with incorrect information. You may try again after 2 hours, or call the office for help (740-393-9504, Monday-Friday, 8-4).

Q: How do I pay online?

A: Our website is Click here to access On-Line Payments When you input your registration information, please use account number with decimal points (example 01.2.3). When you input your service address it must match what is on your billing card (36 JONES DR Addresses in all caps, no punctuation for ST, DR, etc). Please make sure your billing information for your debit/credit card matches your BANK STATEMENT EXACTLY. Payments once accepted will put a hold on your account then be cleared at midnight the same day you process them.

Q: Can I pay monthly on my Water/Wastewater bill?

A: Yes you can. After you pay your bill, you may make weekly-monthly or anytime payments by making partials in the office, via mail or on our webpay site.

Q: What do I do if I have a water leak or wastewater back-up after hours on a weekend/holiday?

A: Phone the police department at 740-397-2222. A department employee will be called out. You must be at the location to assist with the issue.